Traditional genealogy of bengali brahmins: vArendra brahmins of vAtsya
These are the traditional genealogies of vArendra families
descended from dharAdhara
of vAtsya gotra. No attempt has been made to make this page
more comprehensible: it is mainly intended as people looking for
their origins, and I am sure they will treat this only as material
to start them off towards more serious investigation.
It would not have been possible for me to collect this information
except for the very useful book called brAhmaNa-itihAsa by
shrIharilAla caTTopAdhyAYa. I have no idea how he collected all
this material, and what criterion he used to select from among the
available genealogies of bengali brahmins. The book has sometimes
been difficult to decipher, and interested readers should look at
the original to verify my interpretation.
And finally, remember, tradition is not history. Similar caveats
apply to the historicity of these genealogies as apply to my own.
- dvitaYa, aniruddha, whose sons are considered rADh.I, and
- dvitaYa had vedAnta , dAsu, hari, divAkara, jaYa,
shashI and lakSmIdhara who got sanjAminI=sAnnyAla
villageand is the ancestor of valihAra rAjavaMsha;
dAmodara had bhIma ojhA kAliYAYI gAJI.
- bhIma had cakrapANI.
- cakrapANI had rAjaguru nArAYaNa who lived in chAtaka.
- nArAYaNa had pItambara.
- pItAmbara had valadeva.
- valadeva had adhipati.
- adhipati had jaYarAma.
- jaYarAma had uccadhara.
- uccadhara had bhoja ojhA.
- bhoja had bAGgAla ojhA or anantarAma rAYa or sindurI bAra
- bAGgAla had rAjA ashrutAi rAYa.
- ashrutAi had rAjA abhaYa rAYa.
- abhaYa had rAjA devIdAsa rAYa or ThAkura kushalI.
- devIdAsa had ThAkura kArttika rAYa, ThAkura caNDIdAsa
rAYa, who lived in kAbAri kholA, and ThAkura kAlidAsa
- caNDIdAsa had ThAkura modhAi rAYa, ancestor of maulika of
kAbArikholA, ThAkura shaGkara rAYa, ancestor of caudhurI
of bhAreGgA of pAbanA, and ThAkura shUlapANi rAYa, who
lived in hATuriYA.
- shUlapANI had ThAkura Ananda rAYa.
- Ananda had ThAkura DAkuYAi rAYa.
- DAkuYAi had bhuvana rAYa and sAnanda rAYa, ancestor of
rAYa and bhuiJA of hATuriYA.
- bhuvana had yadunAtha.
- yadunAtha had vinoda.
- vinoda had rAdhAkAnta rAYa maNDala, ancestor of rAYa of
hATAYila and bhuiJA of dAnyA and kRSNadeva rAYa
- kRSNadeva had rAmakRSNa and udaYanArAYaNa.
- rAmakRSNa had darpanArAYaNa.
- darpanArAYaNa had prANakRSNA and jIvanakRSNa.
- prANakRSNa had rAjakishora, vrajakishora, ArAdhanA rAYa
majumadAra, and golakacandra rAYa majumadAra; jIvanakRSNa
- ArAdhanA had kRSNadhana, mahima, and durgA; Ananda had
bhavesha, who lives in AnuliYA in DhAka, yogesha,
ramesha, and umesha.