Traditional genealogy of bengali brahmins: vArendra brahmins of
These are the traditional genealogies of vArendra families
descended from bhaTTanArAYaNa
of shANDilya gotra. No attempt has been made to make this page
more comprehensible: it is mainly intended as people looking for
their origins, and I am sure they will treat this only as material
to start them off towards more serious investigation.
It would not have been possible for me to collect this information
except for the very useful book called brAhmaNa-itihAsa by
shrIharilAla caTTopAdhyAYa. I have no idea how he collected all
this material, and what criterion he used to select from among the
available genealogies of bengali brahmins. The book has sometimes
been difficult to decipher, and interested readers should look at
the original to verify my interpretation.
And finally, remember, tradition is not history. Similar caveats
apply to the historicity of these genealogies as apply to my own.
- nArAYaNa bhaTTa might be identical to bhaTTanArAYaNa.
- AdigAJi ojhA.
- AdigAJi ojhA had jaYamaNi bhaTTa.
- jaYamaNi had vidyApati pAD.e.
- vidyApati had hari.
- hari had shivAcAryya. (This early part sometimes appears
as jaYamaNi -> hari kuja -> vidyApati ->
raghupati -> shivAcAryya.)
- shivAcAryya had somAcAryya.
- somAcAryya had ugramaNi.
- ugramaNi had sindhu. (or ugramaNi -> tapomaNi ->
- sindhu had jaYa. (or sindhusAgara -> vindusAgara
- jaYa had 4 sons AdimAdhava campaTi grAmavAsI, manubhaTTa
nandanAgrAmavAsI, svarNarekha sihari=shrIhari grAmavAsI
and pItAmbara bAgacigrAmavAsI.
- manubhaTTa had bhuvana; pitAmbara had sAdhu bAgaci,
rudrabAgaci, and lokanAtha lAhiD.I grAmavAsI.
- bhuvana had kanaka; sAdhu had lava; rudra had haradeva;
lokanAtha had bhUtanAtha.
- kanaka had yadu; lava had cakrapANi; haradeva had vAmadeva;
bhUtanAtha had digambara.
- yadu had veda; cakrapANi had rUpa; vAmadeva had
kAmadeva; digambara had acyUta or caTu ojhA.
- veda had triloka; rUpa had RSi; kAmadeva had anAcAryya;
acyUta had halI, valI, and vallabhAcAryya, who started
the karaNa prathA amongst vArendra, and made his daughter
lIlAvatI karaNa and gave to udaYanAcAryya
- triloka had gaGgAdhara; RSi had birAi; anAcAryya had
raghunandana; vallabhAcAryya had arka bArakaD.iYA.
- gaGgAdhara had divAkara; birAi had hari; raghunandana had
jighanI; bArakaD.iYA had shrInAtha.
- divAkara had kulluka bhaTTa who wrote a TIkA on manu
saMhitA and his brother who was the ancestor of
siddhashrotrIYa rAjavaMsha of tAherapura which included
kaMsanArAYaNa rAYa who was deoAna to the nawAba of
bengal; hari had balAi; jighanI had retha; shrInAtha had
- balAi had dhõi or dh&etilde;i bAgaci and
somAcAryya, the ancestor of the rAjAs of puTiYA; retha had
gaNDa; mAdhava had bArakaD.i.
- bArakaD.i had nAthAi.
- nAthAi had soma bhaTTAcAryya.
- soma had shaGkara.
- shaGkara had rAmagopAla.
- rAmagopAla had rAmahari.
- rAmahari had rAmagovinda lAhiD.I who took the shAlagrAma
shilA and rAmakiGkara lAhiD.I, a munsI under mahArAja
kRSNacandra who got the rest of the inheritence.
- rAmagovinda had kAshIkAnta.
- kAshIkAnta had rAmakRSNa.
- rAmakRSNa had rAmatanu lAhiD.I and kAlIcaraNa lAhiD.I, a
doctor in kRSNanagara.
- kAlIcaraNa had cirasuhRda.
- cirasuhRda had paramAnanda.
- paramAnanda had tArAlocana.
The rAjAs of puTiYA descend from ThAkura rAmacandra who descends
from somAcAryya . ThAkura kamalAkAnta recieved laskarapura
paragaNA from bAdshAh, and started living in puTiYA. rAjA
darpanArAYaNa was deoAna to the nawAba. He helped rAmajIvana and
raghunandana, the originators of the rAjavaMsha of nATora.